The Palm Beach Police Department received multiple reports of imposters claiming to be FPL representatives. The imposter’s spoof (disguise) their phone numbers in an attempt to deceive potential victims into believing they are legitimate FPL employees. They proceed to inform the victim that they are behind in payments and their power will be shut off unless a cash payment is made immediately. In all reported incidents, the reporting parties were current with their FPL bill and had no outstanding monies owed to FPL. If you received a call from someone threatening to shut off your power, we recommend you call FPL directly at 561-697-8000 and verify your account status.
Additionally we recommend:
- Document who is calling, the date and time.
- Ask the caller for a call back number. Fraudulent groups will not want to provide any contact information or will provide an inaccurate number.
- Ask the representative to provide detailed written information, via U.S. Mail, detailing the outstanding bill. FPL will provide documentation from their collections department.
- The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) maintains an online reporting system for telemarketing and other scams - https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc
- Contact the Palm Beach Police Department 561-838-5454