On July 9, 2019, the Town of Palm Beach Town Council adopted Ordinance No. 23-2019, the prohibition of plastic straws and stirrers within the corporate limits of the Town of Palm Beach. The regulations included in the Ordinance will take effect on December 12, 2019. As the deadline approaches, some important items to be aware of are what is being prohibited, who this applies to and any exemptions to the ordinance.
The prohibition consists of single-use plastic straws and stirrers being used, sold or distributed in the Town of Palm Beach limits.
The prohibition applies to the following groups, Town vendors and contractors using Town Facilities, special event permittees and their subcontractors, food service providers and retail establishments.
The exemptions to the ordinance includes the following:
1. Pre-packaged beverage with plastic straws sold or distributed with in the Town provided that such beverages are:
a. Prepared and packaged outside the Town and are not altered
b. Packaged or repackaged within the Town.
2. Medical or Dental facilities
3. Land of facilities owned and managed by:
a. Palm Beach County School Board
b. Palm Beach County
c. State of Florida or the Federal Government
4. The use of a straw by any disabled person that requires or relies on the use of a straw to consume beverages and/or food supplements.
5. Use during a locally declared emergency
If Ordinance No. 23-2019 applies to you, please take some time to review the Ordinance in its entirety and take the necessary steps to ensure compliance by December 12, 2019.
Please visit our website for more information regarding the prohibition of plastic straws and stirrers, by clicking HERE. If you have any questions, please contact the Town Manager’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-838-5410.