Prohibition of Plastic Straws and Stirrers
Plastic Straws & Stirrers
On July 9, 2019, the Town of Palm Beach Town Council adopted Ordinance No. 23-2019, the prohibition of plastic straws and stirrers within the corporate limits of the Town of Palm Beach.
Effective Date of Prohibition
The regulations included in the Ordinances will take effect on December 12, 2019 allowing for businesses to expend their current stock of plastic straws and stirrers. Thus, replacing these items with reusable, recyclable, or compostable alternatives whenever possible.
(photo source: Antonette Fabrizi, Town Staff)
Why the Ban on Plastic Straws and Stirrers?
Plastic straws are detrimental to our environment. They do not fully degrade, they overburden landfills, introduce unsafe chemicals into the environment, become litter and create hazards for land and aquatic animals due to ingestion, and create impediments to waste reduction and recycling goals, while creating unsightly litter.
In the best interest of the public health, safety and welfare of our residents and visitors to reduce litter and pollutants on the land and in the waters in and surrounding the Town of Palm Beach.
What was Banned?
Single-use plastic straws or stirrers shall not be used, sold,or distributed
Who Does the Prohibition Apply to?
- Town Vendors/ Contractors using Town Facilities
- Special Event Permittees and their Subcontractors
- Food Service Providers
- Retail Establishments
Are There Any Exemptions for Plastic Straws and Stirrers?
Yes. The prohibition shall not apply to the following:
- Pre-packaged beverages with plastic straws sold or distributed within the Town provided that such beverages are:
- prepared and packaged outside the Town and are not altered,
- packaged or repackaged within the Town
- Medical or dental facilities.
- Land or facilities owned and managed by:
- the Palm Beach County School Board
- Palm Beach County
- State of Florida or the Federal Government.
- The use of a straw by any disabled person that requires or relies on the use of a straw to consume beverages and/or food supplements.
- Use during a locally declared emergency.
How is the Prohibition Being Enforced?
After December 12, 2019, the Town will enforce this article by civil citation in accordance with Chapter 2, Article V, Section 2-439.
(photo source: strawfree.org)