Kirk Blouin, Director of Public Safety
Kirk Blouin was sworn in as the 9th Chief of Police for the Town of Palm Beach, Florida in May of 2009 and appointed Director of Public Safety in May of 2011. Palm Beach, a historic barrier island town, was incorporated in 1911 and has 10,000 year-round and 30,000 seasonal residents.
Director Blouin has over 26 years of law enforcement experience. He joined the Palm Beach Police Department in 1989 as a Patrolman and rose to the rank of Major prior to being named Chief of Police and subsequently Director of Public Safety. As Director of Public Safety, he oversees the Palm Beach Police Department as well as the Palm Beach Fire Department and is responsible for more than 190 personnel. Director Blouin works closely with the Town Manager and Town Council ensuring all mandates and Public Safety goals and objectives are met. He overseas diversified and specialized units and divisions for both the Police and Fire Departments including: Public Safety, Community Outreach Programs, Criminal Investigations, Crime Scene Evidence Unit, Beach Patrol, Marine Unit, Underwater Search and Recovery, Hostage Negotiations, Motorcycle Patrol, Fleet Management and Maintenance, Parking and Code Enforcement, Records Information Systems, Fire Department Suppression, Rescue, and Special Operations, Fire Code Enforcement, Emergency Medical Service(EMS), Special Events, Fire Inspections and Investigations, and Training.
In March, 2012 Director Blouin was awarded the Palm Beach Civic Association William J. ‘Bill’ Brooks Community Service Award, for “significantly improving the quality of life in Palm Beach.” In addition, Director Blouin has more than 100 department and citizen commendations. Today, the Town of Palm Beach is experiencing historic low rates of crime as a result of a proactive and highly professional police department. Within the Fire-Rescue Department, Director Blouin has improved efficiencies and reduced costs. Service levels have increased and response times have improved through the implementation of new technologies and processes. Director Blouin is a Member of:
- Palm Beach County Association of Chiefs of Police (Past President)
- Strategic Issues Committee (PBCCOP Chairperson)
- Florida Police Chiefs Association
- Law Enforcement Planning Council of Palm Beach County (Chairperson)
- DNA / Law Enforcement Services Work Group (LEPC Former Chairperson)
- Palm Beach County Law Enforcement Exchange (LEX)
- Multi Agency Incident Command and Communications Work Group (LEX Chairperson)
- Florida League of Cities - Law Enforcement Advisory Panel (Founding Member, Vice Chairperson)
- FBI National Academy Associates
- Southern Police Institute Alumni Association (Florida and National Chapters)
- Police Executive Research Forum
- International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association
- Special Operations Leadership Association
- International Association of Chiefs of Police
- National Association of Chiefs of Police
- Criminal Justice Commission, (Past Board Member)
Director Blouin holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration from Florida Atlantic University. He is a graduate of the FBI's National Academy, has more than 4,000 hours of specialized and advanced law enforcement training, completed the Southern Police Institute Command Officers Development Course, and is a Certified Law Enforcement Instructor. Director Blouin is married and has two children.