- COVID- 19 Vaccinations
COVID- 19 Vaccinations
Effective today, new submissions to the Town’s Covid-19 Vaccination Waiting List will be temporarily paused to allow Town staff to finish scrubbing the list to eliminate ineligible submissions. Additions to the list will resume at a later date. There are approximately 3,100 eligible individuals currently on the waiting list. Each individual who submitted their information is “in line” based on their date and time-stamped submission.
- By now, over 1,000 Palm Beach individuals have received the first dose of the MODERNA vaccine. The second dose of the vaccine will be provided in 28 days.
- The Fire-Rescue Department plans to remind you to make an appointment for your second dose through the Acuity scheduling system used to make the first dose appointment. Look for an email from “email@example.com.”
- Those who were vaccinated by the Fire-Rescue Department were given a card that records the date of the first dose and the lot number of the vaccine. This information is also in the database.
- IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT No vaccine gives you 100% immunity. The Moderna vaccine, as reported in the trial, is 94% effective* after 2 doses. The efficacy after one dose was not determined but may be forthcoming.
Please understand that you MUST continue to wear a mask and social distance for four reasons:
- You may already have the virus but, are asymptomatic or in an early phase where you have not yet developed symptoms which means you can give the virus to others.
- You may get the virus. It takes 2 doses, 28 days apart and 7 weeks* from the first dose to achieve the 94% immunity, therefore if exposed before you have achieved the 94% immunity you may become infected.
- It is not known how long immunity lasts, therefore until the length of time is established you must continue mask wearing and social distancing.
- No vaccine gives you 100% immunity and it will take some time to establish the 80-85% herd immunity to this very contagious virus.
* An efficacy rate of 94% means there was a 94% reduction from the number of expected infections without vaccination.
* Generally, it takes 10-15 days for the immune system to generate an effective immune response.